A time capsule template for your students to complete at the beginning of the school year.
Use this teaching resource at the beginning of the school year to create a time capsule for each student.
How to Make a Time Capsule for the First Day of School
Use the cover label to stick on a glass jar or recycled plastic bottle. Then, have your students complete each of the smaller templates and roll them up to fit in the jar or bottle.
At the end of the year, students can open up their time capsule to see what they looked like and what they wrote on their first day of the school year.
Here’s a snapshot of what your students will include in their time capsule:
- How I measure up – a template for students to measure their height with a piece of string and stick it to the piece of paper. Students can then open this on the last day of school to see how much they have grown.
- Goals are important – students write down one or two main goals for the year. A great way for them to reflect at the end of the year to see how far they have come.
- Take a selfie – students take a photo of themselves and stick it on this piece of paper. A great visual for them to compare themselves and how much they have changed on the last day of school.
- A few of my favorite things – students write down a few of their favorite things and then compare these items on the last day of school. Have any of their favorite things changed?
- When I grow up – students write what they want to be when they grow up and why.
- Here’s my handprint – how much has their hand grown in a school year?
- If I could be an animal – a little bit of fun! What animal would they be and why?
- About me today – a few other facts about themselves. Including how many teeth they have lost, their weight, etc.
The purpose of this first day of school activity is for students to include information about themselves on the first day of the school year. The time capsules are then put away until the last day of school when students can open them up to see how much they have changed in just one short school year.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!