Introduce your students to revered Black icons and the impacts their contributions have made to American history.
Showcase 6 Influential African Americans with our Black History Month Posters
Legislators, lawyers, activists, authors, protestors, voters, change-makers.
Black history is rich with people who have shaped our nation and our way of life.
Each Black American profiled in this poster collection has contributed to history by promoting equality and freedom for all!
Barack Obama – First African American US president
Carol Moseley Braun – First African American Congresswoman
Shirley Chisholm – First African American woman elected to the Senate
Amelia Boynton – Civil rights leader who helped organize the march at Selma
Thomas Mundy Peterson – First African American to vote under 15th amendment
Kamala Harris – First person of color and woman US Vice President
Get More From Your Black History Month Posters
Use these posters to profile prominent historical figures in various kinds of lessons, including:
- Black History Month (February)
- Women’s History Month (March)
- Celebrate Diversity Month (April)
- American history & government
- Biography writing
- Civil rights movement
Print in letter or tabloid sizes to extend the use of this download to multiple activities in your class!
- Print the poster on tabloid paper and display it in your classroom for students to reference when doing independent work.
- Print the poster on letter-size cardstock, slip it into a clear sleeve, and use it in your guided reading groups.
- Print on letter-sized paper and pass out copies as a group reading activity. Students find their group, read, and discuss their assigned profile.
Before You Download
This resource prints as a PDF. Please use the dropdown menu to choose between the full color or black and white, letter, or tabloid sizes.
Check out more posters and other displays here!
Pair this poster pack with our reading comprehension questions for each of the profiles included!
[resource:4088054] [resource:4535757] [resource:4088766] [resource:4088134] [resource:4088290] [resource:4088218]