Complete words using the correct consonant digraph with this set of match-up cards.
The Hands-On Consonant Digraph Activity You’ve Been Looking For!
A digraph is a two-letter combination that creates one sound. The English language consists of both consonant digraphs and vowel digraphs. Consonant digraphs can be found at the beginning or the end of a word (or anywhere in between), depending on the sound they make. Some examples of consonant digraphs include ck, ch, th, sh, ph, wh.
This match-up activity has been designed to help your students become more familiar with consonant digraphs in monosyllabic words. The resource includes 32 cards (16 matching pairs), instructions, and an answer key.
How to Play This Consonant Digraphs Match-Up Game
- Print and cut the cards. Cardstock is recommended.
- Place the cards in rows. Cards should be flipped face-down so the images and words cannot be seen.
- Each player is given one turn to flip over two cards. If the two cards are a match, the student will keep those two cards and be awarded two points (one point for each card they keep).
- The game continues until all matches are found. The player with the most points at the end of the game is the winner!
For an extra challenge: When students find a match, allow them to earn an additional two points (for a total of four points) if they can think of another word that uses the same consonant digraph. If they cannot think of a new word, they will just keep their match and earn only two points.
Deliver This Resource in a Variety of Ways
This versatile resource can be used in various ways to meet your learners’ diverse needs. It can be used as:
- An independent challenge for fast finishers
- A focused, small group activity with a selection of targeted learners
- A whole-class lesson or revision
Download the File Format That Best Suits Your Classroom!
Use the dropdown menu next to the Download button to select from this resource’s PDF or Google Slides version.
This resource was created by Lisamarie Del Valle, a teacher in Florida and a Teach Starter collaborator.
Check out our other amazing resources to help you teach those reading standards!
[resource:4686985] [resource:4799724] [resource:4699522]