Identify the basic parts of a plant with a printable plant diagram.
Pick a Parts of a Plant Diagram for Kids!
Plants are vital to life on Earth. They grow on mountains, valleys, deserts, fresh and saltwater—almost everywhere on the planet. Plants come in all shapes and sizes, from the smallest seedling to towering trees. Plants are beautiful to look at and play a vital role in keeping people, animals, and the Earth healthy. We’re here to help you teach your students the basics behind Earth’s plant life, starting with a printable parts of a plant diagram!
What are the Parts of a Plant?
The basic parts of most land plants are roots, stems, leaves, flowers, fruits, and seeds. The function of each plant part is described below.
- Roots anchor the plants in the soil and take in nutrients and water that the plant needs
- Stems support the upper part of the plant and are a transport system for nutrients, water, and sugar.
- Leaves are the parts of the plant where photosynthesis usually occurs—where food for the plant is made. The green substance chlorophyll captures light energy and uses it to convert water and carbon dioxide into food for the plant.
- Flowers are the reproductive part of plants. They often have bright petals and scents to attract birds, bees, and other insects.
- Fruits are the fleshy substances that usually surround seeds. They protect the seeds and attract animals to eat them. This helps in seed dispersal.
- Seeds contain plant material that can develop into another plant.
Download and Print Your Plant Diagram Today!
This resource is a breeze to use! Simply click the download button to download the printable PDF resource file. We’ve included both a color and black and white diagram as well!
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.