Help students with six different comprehension skills with this set of super 6 comprehension task cards and mats.
Comprehension Questions Using the Super Six Reading Strategies
This set of strategies have been designed to help students improve their reading comprehension skills. Here’s a brief overview of each strategy:
- Making Connections: Encourages students to connect the text to their own experiences, other texts, or the world around them. This helps enhance understanding and engagement with the material.
- Monitoring: Involves students actively assessing their understanding while reading. They learn to recognize when they are confused or need clarification, prompting them to adjust their reading strategies accordingly.
- Visualizing: Encourages students to create mental images or “mind movies” while reading. This helps them better comprehend and remember the details of the text.
- Predicting: Encourages students to make predictions about what will happen next in the text based on their understanding of the story or information presented. This fosters active engagement with the material.
- Questioning: Involves students asking questions before, during, and after reading to deepen their understanding and provoke critical thinking. This strategy promotes an active and inquisitive approach to reading.
- Summarizing: Teaches students to distill the main ideas and key details of a text into a concise summary. This helps reinforce their comprehension and retention of essential information.
These strategies are valuable tools for educators to help students develop essential reading skills and become more proficient readers. By incorporating these strategies into their reading practices, students can improve their ability to comprehend and analyse a wide range of texts.
This resource download includes question cards for each of the strategies as well as a question mat that students can use during rotations.
How to Use these Question Cards in the Classroom
Using Super 6 comprehension task cards in the classroom provides a structured and systematic approach to improving reading comprehension skills. By integrating these strategies into your teaching methods, you empower students to become more effective and strategic readers across various subjects. Here are some suggestions for using these task cards in the classroom.
- Small group activities, assign different super 6 strategies to small groups of students. Each group can work on applying their assigned strategy to a specific text or passage. This promotes collaborative learning and discussion.
- Independent work – have students independently work with the Super 6 task cards. This allows them to focus on specific strategies and develop their comprehension skills individually.
- Task rotation – rotate the Super 6 task cards periodically, so students have the opportunity to practise each strategy over time.
- Daily warm ups – if you are focusing on a particular strategy, use a question card a day to get your students thinking!
Use the dropdown menu to choose between an editable Google Slide version of the flashcards or the mats. Available to download is also the separate PDFs for for each strategy.
More Comprehension Resources
Looking for more resources to add to your comprehension lessons? We have you covered…
[resource:17444] [resource:5046396] [resource:41232]