A word wheel of synonyms and similar words used to describe emotional states.
Show, Don’t Tell With “Wheely” Good Synonyms!
A synonym is a word or phrase with the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or phrase. For example, “big” and “large” are synonyms.
Think of synonyms like different tools in a toolbox. Each tool has its own purpose, but it can be used to accomplish similar tasks. Similarly, synonyms are words that can be used to express similar ideas, but they have their own distinct connotations and nuances.
As a teacher, you can use synonyms to help your students expand their vocabulary, make their writing more interesting and varied, and improve their communication skills. You can teach your students about synonyms by having them identify and compare different words with similar meanings, using a thesaurus, and by providing them with a “Wheely” good word wheel.
How to Create Your Emotions Synonym Word Wheel
How this resource works:
- The words in the center should not be used very often. They are a guide for finding better words to use instead.
- The words in the second ring are synonyms for the middle words. They can be used more often.
- The words in the outer ring are especially descriptive and can be used in very specific circumstances when you want to be more precise with your descriptions.
There are two print options available for this poster:
- Print on tabloid paper to display in your classroom.
- Print on letter-size paper and have the students glue it into their writing journals for future reference.
Cut out the wheely wonderful word wedge, being careful to leave the paper center circle as a pivot point. Place the word wedge over the Wheely Wonderful Words wheel and insert a brass brad through the center circle on the ‘x’. To choose specific words, turn the wheel until the base word is completely inside the wedge. The synonym and descriptive words are now isolated, making them much easier to find.
Download Your Resource
This resource downloads as a PDF file that includes color and blackline versions. Print the version of your choice along with the wedge cover, and make your duplicates.