This Physical Sciences unit addresses the concepts of light and sound and how they are sensed.
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
Teachers are encouraged to collect samples of students’ work throughout the unit to add to a learning portfolio. These can also be used to assess students’ understanding of the unit objectives.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Science Observations – Worksheet
- Let the Sun Shine In! – Worksheet
- Light Word Wall Vocabulary
- What’s in the Box? – Worksheet
- Science Experiment – Line Up the Light!
- Investigating Sound – Science Task Cards
- Sound Word Wall Vocabulary
- Storm’s a Comin’ – Worksheet
- Science Experiment – Sound Research
- Design a Musical Instrument Worksheet
- To explore the five senses and the information they provide.
- To explore sources of light and identify the sun as a light source.
- To investigate if light is needed in order to see.
- To investigate if light travels in a straight line.
- To explore sound and how it is made.
- To investigate if similar sounds can be made in different ways.
- To investigate if the pitch and volume of sounds can be changed.
- To investigate how sound travels.
Preparing for Learning
This Science unit provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. Look for ways to meaningfully integrate the content of the unit with other learning areas e.g. Literacy and The Arts.
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a classroom display which focuses on light and sound. Display word wall vocabulary and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of additional teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Light and Sound collection on the Teach Starter website.
The lessons and science experiments within this unit are structured in accordance with the scientific method. Ensure that the students are familiar with this process before commencing the unit. Alternatively, teach the method concurrently with the relevant lessons.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.