Challenge your students to complete this vocabulary crossword puzzle by completing the sentences with the correct homophone.
A Crossword Puzzle of Common Homophones
Did you know that regular engagement with puzzles can contribute to a student’s overall cognitive development?
Incorporating crossword puzzles into your teaching repertoire can be a versatile and enjoyable way to enhance students’ learning experiences. Crossword puzzles not only reinforce academic concepts but also nurture a host of other skills, such as vocabulary expansion, critical thinking and sustained concentration. In addition to this, the challenge of solving a puzzle provides a sense of accomplishment which can motivate students to engage more deeply with the content being presented.
That’s why Teach Stater’s experienced team of teachers has created this homophones crossword puzzle to use in your vocabulary lessons. The crossword contains 15 across clues and 14 down clues, each containing a sentence with a missing homophone. In order to solve the clue, students must work out the missing homophone AND its correct spelling. Once they have done this, students must write the answer to the clue inside the corresponding boxes of the crossword puzzle. Some example clues include:
- You need to _____ a hat when you are out in the sun.
- I’m coming _____ your party on the weekend.
- You go to the end of the street and then turn _____.
The homophones included in this resource are: too/to/two, aloud/allowed, there/they’re/their, your/you’re, bye/buy/by, where/wear/we’re, right/rite.
This resource downloads as a black-and-white PDF.
How to Use This Crossword Puzzle in Your Classroom
Incorporating crossword puzzles into the classroom provides an interactive and enjoyable way for students to revise content while developing essential problem-solving skills.
Looking for more suggestions for how to use this crossword puzzle in your classroom? Check out some great ideas from our experienced teacher team!
- Whole-Class Activity – Crossword puzzles make a great review activity! After revising the concept, project the puzzle onto your screen and work through it as a class.
- Collaborative Group Activity – Crossword puzzles are a great way to promote collaboration among your students. Divide the class into groups and have them complete the puzzle together. To add an extra element of excitement, make it a competition to see which group can complete the puzzle first!
- Independent Practice – Crossword puzzles can be assigned to students for independent practice during class time or as a homework task. What an engaging method of reviewing at home what they have learnt about homophones in class!
Download and Use This Homophones Crossword Puzzle
Use the Download button above to access the easy-print PDF.
As this resource contains an answer sheet, we recommended printing one copy of the resource, removing the answer page, then making copies as required.
More Activities to Explore Common Homophones
Looking to liven up your lessons on homophones? Click below to explore more curriculum-aligned, teacher-created resources!
[resource:4998045] [resource:4997673] [resource:23578]