Explore the world’s five oceans with this detailed comprehension passage and related questions.
Exploring the World’s Five Oceans
Did you know that 71 % of Earth is covered by water? About 97% of Earth’s water is held in the world’s five oceans. The five oceans are the Atlantic Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean.
This detailed, two-page comprehension passage will enable your students to learn more about the world’s five oceans while simultaneously fine-tuning their reading comprehension skills. The resource download contains:
- a comprehension passage about the world’s oceans (spanning two pages)
- a set of 7 open response questions
- a set of 10 true or false questions
- an ‘extend your thinking’ question.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
If you are supporting the needs of a diverse range of learners in your class, you’ll need to differentiate this resource in order to make sure that all students can be successful.
Here are some tips for how you might support and extend students as they engage with this resource:
- Supporting Students – Less-confident readers may benefit from being pre-exposed to the key vocabulary in the passages. They may also benefit from reading the text allowed in a targeted, small-group setting.
- Extending Students – Have more-confident students write some additional questions to accompany the passage. Focus on higher-level questions rather than literal questions.
Choose Your Preferred File Format
Use the dropdown arrow next to the Download button to select between the easy-print PDF or the editable Google Slides version of this resource.
Because this resource includes an answer sheet, we recommend you print one copy of the entire file. Then, make photocopies of the blank worksheet for students to complete.
To save paper, we suggest printing this multi-page worksheet double-sided.
This resource was created by Beth Hindi, a Teach Starter collaborator.