Making an exciting and creative birthday display in your classroom doesn’t need to take hours. In fact, often a classroom birthday wall looks best if your students help you to make it! We know that at the beginning of the school year teachers spend a lot of time preparing their classroom. And, while we here at Teach Starter are not writing these kinds of posts to increase any Pinterest-perfection inspired angst, we know that you guys love to get your hands on easy and exciting birthday wall ideas! So we’ve done the work for you, creating some amazing birthday display resources to save you time and make your students’ first day in their new classroom totally buzz!
Five Awesome Birthday Display Ideas
Here are five super fun (and easy!) classroom birthday display ideas that each come with their own downloadable, printable birthday display resources!
If birthday displays are a little too time-consuming for you, then scroll to the bottom of this post to see some awesome, ready-to-print birthday charts.
This “Under the Sea” themed birthday wall idea is super fun! A twist on the Sea Jelly Classroom Display, each month is displayed on the body of a sea jelly and you can attach each of your class family’s birthdays as a tentacle hanging below.
To create this “Under the Sea” birthday board we used:
- Aqua coloured wrapping paper
- Sea Jelly Birthday Display Template (which includes sea jellies, rainbow Happy Birthday bunting, and sea animal cut out decorations)
- White and dark blue crepe paper streamers
- A ball of fancy wool
- Coloured cardboard to create the coral
- Yellow and green party decorations.
Tips for Longevity
- Laminate the bunting flags, the sea jelly ‘month’ bodies and the sea animal cut out decorations before you stick them on your birthday board.
- Attach the birthday tentacles using sticky tape (which can then be removed at the end of the year).
- When you take down your display the main templates can be reused for the next year (or passed on to another teacher who loved this birthday board idea!)
The printable Sea Jelly Birthday Display template includes bunting flags that are sizes one per A4 page. Depending on the size of your board you will need to print the bunting at a different size.
- To create this portrait-orientated “Under the Sea” birthday display we printed the bunting flags 6 pages per A4 page.
- For a landscape-orientated display you may like to try printing the bunting flags 2-4 pages per A4 page.
To create sea jellies and cut out decorations the same size as our example, print the relevant pages at full size.
Is this not one of the coolest birthday board ideas you’ve ever seen!? Each cactus displays a month of the year. Each student in your class gets a blank sombrero to write their name and the date of their birthday on. They can colour in the hat however they would like!
To create this Mexican themed birthday board we used:
- light blue wrapping paper
- brown craft paper
- Cacti and Sombrero Birthday Display Template (includes the cacti, sombreros, blue and yellow Happy Birthday bunting, and the sun and cloud decorations)
Tips for Longevity
- Laminate the bunting flags, the cacti ‘months’ and the other cut out decorations before you stick them on your birthday board.
- Attach the birthday sombreros using blue tack or double-sided tape.
- When you take down your display the main templates can be reused for the next year (or passed on to another teacher who loved this birthday board idea!) and you can print more blank sombreros for your new student group.
The printable Mexican themed birthday board display template includes bunting flags that print one flag per A4 page. This may be too large, depending on the size of your birthday board.
- To create this portrait-orientated Mexican themed birthday display we printed the bunting flags 6 pages per one A4 page.
- To create a landscape-orientated birthday board you may like to try printing your bunting flags 2-4 pages per one A4 page.
This supremely cute printable cupcake birthday display is one of the most popular in our collection of birthday-themed teacher resources! Like each of the birthday board ideas above, this fun birthday display is easy to create and can be reused year after year.
To create a cupcake birthday display you’ll need:
- A blank wall or display board
- Coloured wrapping paper to make a background
- Cupcakes Birthday Chart (Version 2)
Tips for Longevity
- Laminate the cupcakes and candles before use.
- Write on the candles using a whiteboard marker so they can be cleaned at the end of the year.
- Reuse the display again next year or pass them on to someone else!
This downloadable Cupcakes Birthday Display prints one cupcake per A4 page. When the candle pages are printed at full size they are the correct proportions for the cupcakes.
- To make a smaller cupcake birthday wall, reduce both the cupcake pages and the candle pages by the same size.
We all love a good birthday cupcake display, however, this sweet ice cream birthday wall idea takes celebratory dessert displays to the next level!
Every month of the year is printed out on a wafer cup, while students each get a blank ice cream scoop on which they can write their name, write the date of their birthday (we love putting these in the cherries!) and then decorate however they’d like to.
To create this ice cream themed birthday wall we used:
- Ice Cream Birthday Display Template (includes A4 Happy Birthday picture, waffle cup ‘months’ and ice cream scoop templates).
That’s it! The only thing you need for this display is some space on a display board or wall, a pair of scissors, some sticky tac and this one, printable file!
Tips for Longevity
Laminate the “Happy Birthday” picture and the waffle cup ‘months’ so you can use them in the future.
To create this sample display we printed all pages of the Ice Cream Birthday Display Template at full size. If you’d like to create a smaller display, make sure you print both the cups and the scoops at the same reduced size so the proportions remain the same!
Hands up if you love rainbows!? Well, this super easy classroom birthday wall idea is for you! Sticking with an obvious birthday theme, this printable Balloon Birthday Chart is another fun classroom display.
To create this birthday display board we used:
- A black display board (though you could use large sheets of black card)
- Different coloured string
- Balloon Birthday Chart template
- Rainbow Happy Birthday Bunting
Tips for Longevity
- Laminate the balloons before you write on each.
- Use a whiteboard marker to write the names so you can wipe them off at the end of the year.
- If you’d like to create a larger, landscape-orientated display you may like to try printing the balloons at full size and hanging the bunting across one string.
- To create a smaller display, make sure you print both the balloons at a reduced size so the proportions don’t seem too out of whack.
If you love a good pop of colour in your classroom but the idea of cutting and laminating a series of decorations for a new display isn’t your idea of a good time, then a beautifully designed Birthday Chart is for you!
- Browse the Birthdays collection to find the chart design that you like the best.
- Enlarge the chart to A3 size and laminate it.
- Use a whiteboard marker to write in your students’ and your own birthday dates for the year.
- Wipe clean at the end of the year and reuse!
Here are some of our favourite birthday charts: