This Mathematics unit addresses a range of 2-digit place value number concepts involving identifying, sequencing and representing.
It consists of 10 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Goals – Numeracy (Lower Elementary)
- 0-120 Number and Word Flashcards – Circles
- Train Carriage Card Game – Sequencing Numbers 1–9
- Skip Counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s PowerPoint
- Number Sequencing to 100 – Worksheet
- Skip Counting Number Puzzles
- Hundreds Chart – Black and White Version
- Skip Counting by 2s Dominoes
- Skip Counting Robot Strips – 2s, 5s, and 10s
- Skip Counting by 5s Dominoes
- Skip Counting by 10s Dominoes
- Exploring 2-Digit Place Value PowerPoint
- Place Value Spin
- Tens and Ones 2-Digit Place Value Mat
- Roll It, Make It, Expand It! – Place Value Worksheet
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Place Value (2-Digit Numbers)
- Decomposing Numbers – Matchup Activity
- Introduction to Number Lines PowerPoint
- Odd and Even Number House Cards – Sorting Activity
- Number Line Car Race
- 1 to 20 Clothesline Number Cards
- 2-Digit Numbers on a Number Line – Place Value Activity
- 2-Digit Place Value Warm-Up – Interactive PowerPoint
- My 2-Digit Place Value Diary
- Two-Digit Place Value Bingo Game (Digits, Base-10 Blocks, and Craft Sticks)
- To identify and order the numbers from 0 to 120.
- To sequence the numbers from 0 to 100.
- To introduce skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s.
- To explore skip counting by 2s.
- To explore skip counting by 5s.
- To explore skip counting by 10s.
- To understand that 2-digit numbers are made up of tens and ones.
- To understand how 2-digit numbers can be decomposed.
- To identify the basic features of a number line.
- To understand how numbers are placed on a number line.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a numbers display in the classroom. Display posters, word wall vocabulary and learning goals that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Place Value category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address when introducing 2-digit place value to younger students. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 1 (KS1)
Key Stage 1 (KS1) covers students in Year 1 and Year 2.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in key stage 1 is to ensure that pupils develop confidence and mental fluency with whole numbers, counting and place value. This should involve working with numerals, words and the four operations, includin...
- Number and place value