This Mathematics unit covers a range of concepts relating to decimals and percentages; specifically calculations.
It consists of 11 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Goal Labels – Fractions (Key Stage 2 – Upper)
- Operations With Decimals PowerPoint
- Describe That Decimal Worksheet
- Decimals Worksheet – Comparing and Ordering
- Decimals Worksheet – Rounding
- Decimals Worksheet – Operations
- Multiplying with Decimals – Bingo Game
- Introducing Percentages PowerPoint
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Fraction, Decimal and Percentage Equivalence
- Percentages, Fractions, Decimals Match-Up Worksheet
- Fraction, Decimal and Percentage Bingo
- Fraction, Decimal, Percentage Match-Up Game
- Calculating Discounts PowerPoint
- Dan’s Digital World – Product Brochure
- Maths Investigation – Decimals and Percentages
- Decimals and Percentages Assessment – Year 5 and Year 6
- To review decimal place value and compare, order, and represent decimals.
- To add and subtract decimals.
- To multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10.
- To multiply decimals by whole numbers.
- To divide decimals by whole numbers.
- To make connections between equivalent fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- To calculate percentage discounts of 10%, 25%, and 50%.
- To calculate sale price using percentage discounts of 10%, 25%, and 50%.
- To apply knowledge of decimals and percentages to a real-world context.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a decimal and percentages wall in the classroom. Display posters and word wall vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Fractions, Decimals and Percentages category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of decimals and percentages. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
National Curriculum Curriculum alignment
- Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - Lower covers students in Year 3 and Year 4.
The principal focus of mathematics teaching in lower key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value. This should ensure that pupils dev...