A set of 7 posters that display different decoding strategies.
Display these posters to help students select a decoding strategy when reading unfamiliar texts. Each poster contains a character and their reading superpower.
Ways to use this resource:
- Print on tabloid paper and display in your classroom for students to reference when decoding unfamiliar words and texts.
- Print on letter-size paper and use in your guided reading groups to teach each strategy.
- Print 2 to a page on cardstock, cut, and place on a binder ring. Place these in your reading center for students to reference during independent reading.
The posters include the following strategies:
- Envision – Uses pictures to help read the words.
- Dr. Stretch – Sounds out each letter of the word, and then blends them together.
- Numero Uno – Focuses on saying the first sound.
- Leaper – Leaps over unknown words, and the returns to the start.
- Chunkinator – Break words into chunks of letters that make known sounds.
- Flipster – Flips the vowel sound to be long or short.
- Retracer – Retraces reading and begins the sentence again, this time trying something different.