A card game for spelling words.
The aim of the game is to use spelling strategies to finish the game by being the first player to have no cards left in your hand.
46 Spelling Words cards, cut out and shuffled.
How to Play
1. Each player is given 7 cards. The remaining cards are placed face-down in the middle of the group. This forms the draw pile.
2. Turn over the top card of the draw pile. Place this card face up to form the discard pile.
3. When it is your turn, place a card on the discard pile. Your card must be the same color or the same word as the card on the discard pile. Or, you may place a ‘Wild Card’ down and change the color.
4. As you place your card on the pile, you must say the word on the card aloud, cover the card and then spell the word out to the group.
5. If you are unable to discard a card from your hand, you must pick up a card from the draw pile.
6. Follow the directions of cards such as ‘Draw 2’, ‘Reverse’ or ‘Skip’.
7. When you only have one card left in your hand, say “Last one,” to the group.
A version of this teaching resource document can be opened and edited in Microsoft Word, allowing you to add your own custom content.How do I open and edit this Word document?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!