Help your students become independent learners with this set of 8 strategy posters.
What is Independent Learning?
Independent learners take full responsibility for their own learning.
Characteristics of independent learners include
- Self-motivation – Independent learners are driven by setting internal goals and achieving them.
- Self-examination – Independent learners are able to see their strengths and weaknesses and strive to make forward progress.
- Curiosity – Independent learners want to find out more about everything around them.
- Accountability – Independent learners know what they need to do without anyone telling them.
- Critical thinking – Independent learners examine all possibilities of a situation and often come up with multiple solutions.
- Persistence – Independent learners strive to understand a concept as much as possible on their own before asking for help. They have a can-do attitude and never give up.
How to Use This Resource With Your Students
The Science of Independent Learning is a great way of helping students use independent learning strategies. Teachers are often the first call for when students are having difficulty with their classroom tasks, and often do not think to use their own self-help strategies. Using The Science of Independent Learning posters, students can reference the steps they can take before asking their teacher for help.
This teaching resource can be used as a classroom display, with options of a full poster with all stages on it. There is a black and white version, that you can print out for students to keep at their desks to reference.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Use the dropdown arrow located on the Download button to choose between the color or black and white PDF version of this resource.
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.