Print a fun train-themed hands-on activity for your kindergarten math centers! This kid favorite is a great way to practice ordering numbers 1–9.
Choo, Choo! All Aboard the Number Order Game
Looking for a fun activity to add to your kindergarten math centers? Climb on board the train and pull out the playing cards for a fun game that students can play in small groups of 2 to 4 players.
The goal is to order the numbers from smallest to largest along the train carriages. The winner is the last person to place a card on the train.
- 1 pack of cards
- 1 printed train template
How to Play
- Remove all of the face cards from the deck, except for the ace (this will be number 1).
- Shuffle and place the deck of cards face down next to the train.
- The first player picks up a card from the top of the pile and decides where it would best fit on the train carriages. For example, if they picked up a number 9 card, it is one of the largest numbers, so the player may choose to put this on the last carriage in the train.
- The next player then picks up a card and decides the best carriage for their card. If they pick up a 10, and another card has taken the last carriage, they miss a turn and place their card at the bottom of the deck of cards.
- Play continues until all of the train carriages are full. The winner is the last person to place a card on the train.
Differentiate the game by adding more carriages, changing the number sequence pattern or including factors of a number order.
The Fine Print
This teaching resource includes:
- A teacher instructions page
- An engine and two train car page
- A three train car page that can be printed more than once to allow you to extend the train and challenge your students
Select the download button above to download your printable PDF, and get ready to hit the rails!