This Science unit addresses the concept of forces.
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
Teachers are encouraged to collect samples of students’ work throughout the unit to add to a learning portfolio. These can also be used to assess students’ understanding of the unit objectives.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Push and Pull – Forces Worksheet
- Push and Pull – Picture and Sentence Sort Worksheet
- Push and Pull Forces PowerPoint
- Push and Pull – Playground Forces Worksheet
- Forces in Play PowerPoint
- The Force of Friction PowerPoint
- Science Experiment – Sticky Friction
- Whatever Floats Your Boat PowerPoint
- Science Experiment – Sink or Swim
- Gravity PowerPoint
- Air Resistance Investigation
- Gravity Investigation PowerPoint
- Push and Pull – Vocabulary Worksheet
- Push and Pull – Fun with Forces Worksheet
- Which Force Is That? Worksheet
- Force Knowledge Check
- To introduce the concept of forces and to explore push and pull forces.
- To investigate push and pull forces at work in the playground.
- To explore the force of friction.
- To explore the force of buoyancy.
- To explore the force of gravity.
- To revise the forces covered in the unit.
Preparing for Learning
This Science unit provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. Look for ways to meaningfully integrate the content of the unit with other learning areas e.g. Language Arts, Mathematics, Fine Arts.
Prior to commencing the unit, create a forces classroom display. Display word wall vocabulary and posters that will stimulate the students’ interest and assist in their learning. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Forces category on the Teach Starter website.
The lessons and science experiments within this unit are structured in accordance with the scientific method. Ensure that the students are familiar with this process before commencing the unit. A comprehensive lesson plan addressing the concepts of fair testing in Science can be downloaded here.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.