Supplement your phonics lessons with a consonant blend sorting activity.
Practise Consonant Blends with Barrels of Apples!
Help your students consolidate their understanding of consonant blends with this apple-themed sorting activity.
To use this resource:
- Cut out each apple barrel and set of apples.
- Students work in groups to sort the apples into the correct blend barrel.
- Students write the words for each blend group into their journals.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
In addition to individual student work time, use this phonics game to enhance learning through whole-class, small group or pair activities.
If you have a mixture of above and below-level learners, check out these suggestions for keeping students on track with the concepts:
🆘 Support Struggling Students
- Reduce the number of cards or blends required to complete the sorting activity to prevent less-confident students from becoming overwhelmed by the task.
➕ Challenge Fast Finishers
- Students can make additional apples containing words that match each of the blend groups.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource. Both colour and black and white versions are available.
Print on thick card for added durability and longevity. Place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.