Supplement your phonics lessons with a consonant blend “Apple Barrel” sorting center.
Practice Consonant Blends with a Fall Reading Center
Fall is nearing, and it’s time to head for the apple orchards and pumpkin farms! We’re here to help bring a bit of fall into the classroom with an Apple Barrel-themed consonant blend sorting activity.
✂️To use this resource
- Print the entire resource file. For extra durability, we recommend printing on cardstock.
- Cut out each apple barrel and set of apples.
- Choose a blend group for the students to sort.
🧒Once preparation is complete, place this resource into a reading center or guided reading group and have
- Students work in groups to sort the apples into the correct blend barrel.
- Students write the words for each blend group into their journals.
Knowing consonant blends and their corresponding sounds is incredibly useful when learning to spell or read. By doing this activity, students will demonstrate their understanding that two letters can be combined to make a single blended sound. The resource also promotes an awareness of common spelling patterns.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
A team of dedicated, experienced educators created this resource to support your Phonics lessons.
In addition to individual student work time, use this consonant blends game to enhance learning through guided reading groups, whole class lessons, or remote learning assignments.
If you have a mixture of above and below-level learners, check out these suggestions for keeping students on track with the concepts:
🆘 Support Struggling Students
- Complete activities in a small group or one-to-one learning environments.
- Reduce the number of cards or blends required to complete the sorting activity.
- Additionally, provide access to previous assignments, posters, and anchor charts for students to recall past lessons.
➕ Challenge Fast Finishers
- Students choose two words from each blend family to use in a sentence.
- Students write a list of their own words that match the blend groups.
Plan lessons for all ability levels with our 10 Best Scaffolding Strategies!
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource.
Print on cardstock for added durability and longevity. Place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.
Don’t stop there! We’ve got more Fall activities and resources to bring a taste of Autumn into the classroom.
[resource:4838520] [resource:4700201] [resource:76672]