A small group bug swatting game to consolidate the concept of digraph graphemes at the beginning of a word.
This teaching resource includes:
- four bugs each with a digraph – sh, wh, th and ch
- set of 24 game cards with pictures and words beginning with the above digraphs
- teacher instructions.
How to use this classroom game:
- Laminate and cut out the game cards and four bugs. It is best to have a fly swat; however, students can just use their hands.
- Place the bugs on the floor and the game cards in a pile beside the bugs.
- Students take turns to turn over a game card. They must say the word that is on the card, then swat the bug that shows the corresponding digraph e.g. if the student chose the card showing the word ship, the student would need to swat the bug with the ‘sh’ digraph on it.