A small group bug swatting game to consolidate the concept of digraph graphemes at the beginning of a word.
This teaching resource includes:
- four bugs each with a digraph – sh, wh, th, and ch
- set of 24 game cards with pictures and words beginning with the above digraphs
- teacher instructions.
How to use this classroom game:
- Laminate and cut out the game cards and four bugs. It is best to have a fly swat; however, students can just use their hands.
- Place the bugs on the floor and the game cards in a pile beside the bugs.
- Students take turns to turn over a game card. They must say the word that is on the card, then swat the bug that shows the corresponding digraph e.g. if the student chose the card showing the word ship, the student would need to swat the bug with the ‘sh’ digraph on it.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
Plan to inspire every child with hundreds of teacher planning and wellness stickers or one of two merit sticker books. Get your free book with a Teach Plus plan.Upgrade to Teach Plus and claim → Learn more
Free Sticker Books Terms & Conditions: The free sticker book offer is only available for 1 claim per active Plus & Ultimate plan members during the promotional period commencing on the 6th December 2019 and closes when stocks run out. To claim the promotional gift, claimants must validate their postal address via our online form. Teach Starter reserves the right to change, amend or end a promotion at any time without notice.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Know the spelling-sound correspondences for common consonant digraphs.
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!