Explore words that make the 'long a' sound using the split a_e digraph with this set of 11 worksheets.
Explore the ‘Long A’ Vowel Sound, One Word at a Time!
Some of the most common long vowel sounds in the English language are created by the final or magic ‘e’ that can often be found at the end of one-syllable words.
This worksheet pack provides your students with the opportunity to explore and build words that contain the ‘long a’ sound, created by the split digraph a_e.
Each worksheet focuses on a particular a_e word. The students are required to:
- decode the word
- draw a picture of the word
- write the word twice
- cut out the letters contained within the word
- paste the letters in the correct order to build the word.
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
- Challenge students to write sentences or a short story using some of the words in the worksheet pack.
- Brainstorm visual representations for each word as a class to help those who struggle with drawing/conceptualising the words.
Easily Download & Print
Use the Download button to download the PDF file for this resource.
This resource was created by Lindsay Pillips, a Teach Starter collaborator.