A non-fiction text to use when assessing students’ fluency.
The resource includes:
- teacher instructions
- a student copy of the reading passage
- a teacher recording sheet.
1. Select a one minute fluency reading passage at the student’s independent reading level. Independent reading is usually classified as 95%-100% accuracy.
2. Provide the student with a copy of the reading passage. Ask the student to read the text in their best voice, until they are asked to stop.
3. Use the teacher copy of the reading passage to record any errors that the student makes during reading. Words that are self-corrected within three seconds should not be
classified as errors.
4. Calculate the student’s average reading rate by subtracting any errors from the number of correct words read in one minute.
5. If the selected text is too easy or too challenging for the student, repeat the assessment a with a more appropriate passage.
How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
NSW Curriculum alignment
Draws on an increasing range of skills and strategies to fluently read, view and comprehend a range of texts on less familiar topics in different media and technologies
Recognises that there are different kinds of texts when reading and viewing and shows an awareness of purpose, audience and subject matter
Uses basic grammatical features, punctuation conventions and vocabulary appropriate to the type of text when responding to and composing texts
Australian Curriculum alignment
Read decodable and predictable texts using developing phrasing, fluency, contextual, semantic, grammatical and phonic knowledge and emerging text processing strategies, for example prediction, monitor...
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!