A teaching resource to help teach your students about author's purpose.
Use this teaching resource when students are learning to identify the author’s purpose for a piece of text.
This teaching resource includes:
- spinner and arrow
- flashcards for sentence topics.
How to use this teaching resource:
- Print the spinner on cardstock and cut it out. Attach the arrow to the spinner with a brass brad.
- Print out the flashcards on cardstock and cut them out.
- Provide a small group with the spinner and flash cards.
- Students put the flashcards in a pile facedown. One student spins the spinner and then draws the top flashcard. The rest of the students must write a sentence about the topic on the flashcard that has the purpose shown on the spinner. The student who spins chooses the best sentence and that player gets a point.
- The students with the most points in the end, wins!
The resource works well as a reading center activity.