A teaching resource to help teach your students about author’s purpose.
Use this teaching resource when students are learning to identify the author’s purpose for a piece of text.
This teaching resource includes:
- spinner and arrow
- flashcards for sentence topics.
How to use this teaching resource:
- Print the spinner on cardstock and cut it out. Attach the arrow to the spinner with a brass brad.
- Print out the flashcards on cardstock and cut them out.
- Provide a small group with the spinner and flash cards.
- Students put the flashcards in a pile facedown. One student spins the spinner and then draws the top flashcard. The rest of the students must write a sentence about the topic on the flashcard that has the purpose shown on the spinner. The student who spins chooses the best sentence and that player gets a point.
- The students with the most points in the end, wins!
The resource works well as a reading center activity.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
We have updated the topic flashcards included in this resource.
Change by Natalie Aug 29th, 2020
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!