A set of 3 worksheets to help your students identify the language features of opinion texts.
Students read the three opinion texts provided and color code the language features. These include:
- use of the verb ‘to be’ in the present tense
- use of thinking verbs to describe mental processes
- use of connecting words and phrases to link arguments together
- use of cause and effect connectives to show consequences
- use of strong, emotive words to emphasize a point
- use of modality to express different levels of certainty.
The texts included are:
- Dogs Make the Best Pets.
- Homework is Unnecessary.
- Smart Phones Should Be Banned From Classrooms.
Answers for teachers are also provided.
A version of this teaching resource document can be opened and edited in Microsoft Word, allowing you to add your own custom content.How do I open and edit this Word document?
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
Plan to inspire every child with hundreds of teacher planning and wellness stickers or one of two merit sticker books. Get your free book with a Teach Plus plan.Upgrade to Teach Plus and claim → Learn more
Free Sticker Books Terms & Conditions: The free sticker book offer is only available for 1 claim per active Plus & Ultimate plan members during the promotional period commencing on the 6th December 2019 and closes when stocks run out. To claim the promotional gift, claimants must validate their postal address via our online form. Teach Starter reserves the right to change, amend or end a promotion at any time without notice.
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!