A set of 3 worksheets to help your students identify the language features of opinion texts.
Students read the three opinion texts provided and color code the language features. These include:
- use of the verb ‘to be’ in the present tense
- use of thinking verbs to describe mental processes
- use of connecting words and phrases to link arguments together
- use of cause and effect connectives to show consequences
- use of strong, emotive words to emphasize a point
- use of modality to express different levels of certainty.
The texts included are:
- Dogs Make the Best Pets.
- Homework is Unnecessary.
- Smart Phones Should Be Banned From Classrooms.
Answers for teachers are also provided.
A version of this teaching resource document can be opened and edited in Microsoft Word, allowing you to add your own custom content.How do I open and edit this Word document?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Find more resources for these topics
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!