A set of 3 worksheets to help your students identify the language features of opinion texts.
Students read the three opinion texts provided and color code the language features. These include:
- use of the verb ‘to be’ in the present tense
- use of thinking verbs to describe mental processes
- use of connecting words and phrases to link arguments together
- use of cause and effect connectives to show consequences
- use of strong, emotive words to emphasize a point
- use of modality to express different levels of certainty.
The texts included are:
- Dogs Make the Best Pets.
- Homework is Unnecessary.
- Smart Phones Should Be Banned From Classrooms.
Answers for teachers are also provided.
A version of this teaching resource document can be opened and edited in Microsoft Word, allowing you to add your own custom content.How do I open and edit this Word document?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
Find more resources for these topics
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!