Discover and label the world's continents and oceans with this blank map of the world.
A Blank Map of the World to Label
Are you venturing on an adventure into World Geography with your students? Well, they will need to become familiar with the world’s continents and oceans!
This labeling activity can be used in a multitude of ways in your classroom. The resource down contains:
- A fully labeled world map
- A blank word map including the equator, Tropic of Cancer, and Tropic of Capricorn
- Labels for the continents and oceans
Multiple Uses for This Blank Word Continents Map
This resource downloads as a full-color or black-and-white PDF, allowing it to be used in multiple ways in your Geography lessons! Here are some suggestions:
Whole-class mapping activity (via smartboard)
Print the resource, then cut out the continents and oceans labels. Project the color poster onto your interactive whiteboard. Have students take turns coming to the board to add the labels to complete the map.
Independent mapping activity
Provide students with a copy of the black-and-white version of the resource to paste into their notebooks. Have the students work independently or in small groups to add the continents and oceans labels to the map.
Tips for Scaffolding and Extention
- Some students may not yet be familiar with all the continents and oceans… and that’s okay! Support them by allowing them to access an atlas or digital mapping tool while completing the activity. Students with lower-literacy skills may also need support reading the labels.
- For those students who are confident in their geographical skills, why not challenge them to write questions about the world map for a partner to complete? Encourage them to draw upon key map features, such as cardinal directions, when writing their questions.
Download Your File of Choice
Do it your way! Use the dropdown menu next to the Download button to select between the full-color or black-and-white PDF.
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.