A mathematics investigation about decimals and percentages, embedded in a real-world context.
This open-ended mathematics investigation has been designed to deepen students’ understanding of decimals and percentages.
In this investigation, students must use their knowledge and understanding of decimals and percentages to plan an end of year celebration for their class. The party plan must adhere to a budget agreed to by the class, as well as a set of conditions laid down by the teacher. The students must use the party supplies catalog provided to select food, party decorations and serving supplies for the celebration, then record all costings on the worksheets provided.
This teaching resource includes:
- teacher notes, detailing a range of important information about the investigation
- answers for all discount calculations
- a detailed description of the investigation for students, including step-by-step instructions
- party supplies catalog
- various recording worksheets and party planning templates
- a checklist for students
- reflection questions.
How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.B.7
Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to hundredths, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written me...
- Grade 6 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Ratios & Proportional Relationships > Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.RP.A.3 > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.6.RP.A.3.C
Find a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent....
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Comments & Reviews
Calculation error corrected in first row of table on page 11.
Fix by Stephanie (Teach Starter) 14th Sep, 2018
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!