A mathematics investigation about fractions, embedded in a real-world context.
This open-ended mathematics investigation has been designed to deepen students’ understanding of fractions.
In this investigation, students must use their knowledge and understanding of fractions to design a colorful floor rug for a home renovation competition. The floor rug design must adhere to a list of competition rules. Students must record and analyze their color choices on the worksheet provided.
This teaching resource includes:
- teacher notes, detailing a range of important information about the investigation
- a detailed description of the investigation for students, including step-by-step instructions
- two blank floor rug templates
- two ‘recording and analyzing’ worksheets
- reflection questions.
How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
- Grade 4 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations - Fractions > Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NF.A.2
Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, e.g., by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions ref...
- Grade 4 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations - Fractions > Build fractions from unit fractions > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NF.B.3 > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NF.B.3.A
Understand addition and subtraction of fractions as joining and separating parts referring to the same whole....
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Comments & Reviews
Rug templated changed from 5 x 5 to 6 x 4.
Change by Stephanie (Teach Starter) 13th Aug, 2017
Uneven boxes in rug template fixed.
Fix by Stephanie (Teach Starter) 12th Jun, 2017
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!