Number Talks – Decimal Task CardsTo download this premium resource Sign up to Teach Starter Not ready for a premium account? Browse free resources.
Build number sense skills with this set of 26 task cards.
Use this set of task cards to easily implement number talks into your classroom.
Number talks are meant to be short, daily, math activities that allow students to have meaningful and highly engaging conversations about math. Simply show students the front of the card, and ask the prompts on the back. These exchanges will lead to the development of more accurate, efficient, and flexible strategies for students.
This card set is a great teaching resource designed to help students with:
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals using different strategies
- relating decimals to fractions
- relating decimals to money
- writing decimals in expanded notation
- comparing decimals
- rounding decimals.
Print out the task cards front and back so that the prompts are displayed on the back of each card. The cards can also be put on a ring for added convenience.
Use the drop-down menu to select the following download options:How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Understand the place value system > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.3
Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths....
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Understand the place value system > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.3 > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.3.A
Read and write decimals to thousandths using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form, e.g., 347.392 = 3 × 100 + 4 × 10 + 7 × 1 + 3 × (1/10) + 9 × (1/100) + 2 × (1/1000)....
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Understand the place value system > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.3 > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.3.B
Compare two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons....
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Understand the place value system > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.4
Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place....
- Grade 5 > Standards for Mathematical Practice > Number & Operations in Base Ten > Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths > CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.B.7
Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to hundredths, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written me...
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Share this teaching resource
Do you have friends missing out on Teach Starter? Share this teaching resource with your friends and colleagues!
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!