An opinion speech writing task, based around real-world issues affecting children.
In this task, students imagine that they have been asked to represent the children of their country at a meeting of world leaders. They must choose a major issue affecting children around the world and convince the leaders at the meeting to take urgent action on this issue. The issues are:
- providing every child with access to clean drinking water
- providing every child with the opportunity to go to school
- providing every child with immunizations against preventable diseases.
Students research, plan and write an opinion speech based on one of the above issues. Teachers may wish for students to rehearse and present these speeches to the class.
This teaching resource includes:
- a brainstorming mind map
- a research graphic organizer
- a planning template
- a checklist for structure, language features and persuasive devices.
How do I print this teaching resource?
"I love teach starter and am so thankful to have found such a great resource collection. The fee is only a few hours pay and I saved myself that much work within the first 15 minutes!" ~ Nanci, a happy Teach Starter member.
Want to see why hundreds of thousands of teachers love Teach Starter? Download a FREE 200+ page pack of premium Teach Starter teaching resources.
Common Core State Standards alignment
- Grade 5 > English Language Arts Standards > Writing > Text Types and Purposes > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information....
- Grade 6 > English Language Arts Standards > Writing > Text Types and Purposes > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.6.1
Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence....
- Grade 5 > English Language Arts Standards > Speaking & Listening > Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.5.4
Report on a topic or text or present an opinion, sequencing ideas logically and using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace....
- Grade 6 > English Language Arts Standards > Speaking & Listening > Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas > CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.6.4
Present claims and findings, sequencing ideas logically and using pertinent descriptions, facts, and details to accentuate main ideas or themes; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation....
Photos of this resource, shared by teachers, parents and the Teach Starter team!
Comments & Reviews
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!