A set of 30 task cards to practice segmenting one-syllable words into their individual phonemes.
Use this activity as a fun way to review or reinforce segmenting words into their individual sounds.
How to play SPLAT!
- Print out the task cards on cardstock and cut them out on the dotted line. Store in a resealable bag to be used again and again.
- Shuffle the cards and place them in a pile face down in the middle of the playing area.
- Have one player draw a card, say the word presented in the image, and break it apart into individual sounds, e.g., sun = s-u-n.
- If the player correctly segments the phonemes, they get to keep the card. If they do not segment the phoneme correctly, they place the card on the bottom of the pile.
- If a SPLAT! card is drawn, the player must put all of their cards back in the pile.
- The player with the most cards at the end of the game wins!
This resource is great when used as a guided reading activity to reinforce segmenting one-syllable words into individual sounds.
Looking for a way to use this resource with your entire class? Simply project a card on the board and complete it together as a warm-up before starting a lesson.
This resource was created by Lauren Piper, a teacher from Illinois and a Teach Starter Collaborator.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!