A teaching resource to help teach your students to summarize a story.
This comprehension teaching resource teaches students how to summarize a story using the following terminology:
- Title – what is the title of the story?
- Somebody – who is the main character?
- Wanted – what did the main character want?
- But – what was the problem?
- So – how did the character solve the problem?
- Then – what was the final resolution to the problem?
This teaching resource includes:
- a dice using the terminology
- graphic organizer using the same terminology
- bookmarks explaining the words.
How to use this teaching resource:
- Have students create a dice using the template included.
- After reading any story, have the students roll the dice and then fill out that particular category on their ‘Summarizing a Story’ worksheet.
- The bookmark can be laminated and used during any reading session to remind the students how to summarize a story.
Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF and Google Slide version of the graphic organizer.
Download this resource as part of a larger resource pack or Unit Plan.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text.
Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
Request a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!