A Year of the Ox craft activity to help celebrate Lunar New Year!
Print-Ready Lunar New Year Activities for Kids
Teach your students about Lunar New Year and its cultural significance with this craft activity. The project involves making paper lanterns, which are a symbol of peace, happiness, and prosperity.
Use this teaching resource when celebrating the Lunar New Year with your students.
How to Make a Chinese Paper Lantern Craft
How to construct the lantern:
- Color the lantern and handle (if using the black and white version).
- Cut out the lantern along the solid lines.
- Fold the lantern in half along the horizontal (longer) axis.
- Cut along the dotted lines, making sure you stop at the end of each line. Do not cut all the way through!
- Unfold your paper. With the colored section on the outside, curl the lantern around and glue the ends together to create a circular lantern.
- Cut out the paper strip on the lantern template. Use a stapler to attach this paper handle to the lantern.
There are two versions of the resource available: a color version or a black and white version for students who want to add their own colors and designs. Use the drop-down menu to choose your preferred option.