Teaching can be a really tough gig sometimes, and sometimes we need a reminder that teaching is pretty darn amazing. Between all of the tasks, big and small, that you do each and every day, it’s so important to pause and remember why you are here. This list of inspirational quotes for teachers goes a little way to summarise the importance of all that you do.
Hopefully, casting your eyes over these words will be exactly the kind of micro-moment you need to get through the rest of your day. Or, if you have a teacher friend who you know needs a little love and light right now, send these bits of inspiration for educators their way!
Inspirational Quotes for Teachers
1. ‘Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching kids what counts is best.’ — Bob Talbert
As teachers, we have a lot on our shoulders, and yes, that does mean literally teaching kids their ABCs and their 123s. However, the love and kindness, and compassion we show in the classroom every day is going a long way too! It helps our students see the kind of people they can grow up to be.
2. ‘I touch the future. I teach.’ – Christa McAuliffe
American teacher Christa McAuliffe will never be forgotten by the global teaching community for her strength and bravery. Before she lost her life in the Challenger explosion in 1986 — a tragedy that claimed the lives of seven crew members on the space shuttle — McAuliffe was inspiring teachers with her willingness to leave the comfort of her classroom for outer space as part of NASA’s Teacher in Space Project.
You may not be headed into outer space any time soon, but let’s face it — you too touch the future every day right in your school building.
3. ‘A good education can change anyone. A good teacher can change everything!’
Sometimes it can be hard to remember the greater impact that is created by the sum of seemingly tiny everyday actions. Post this inspirational teacher quote where you’ll be reminded of it!
Keep the good vibes going! Print a set of affirmations for kids to post in your classroom!
4. ‘It takes a big heart to shape little minds.’ — Unknown
You completed most of the hard work needed to become a good teacher before you stepped into your classroom for the first time… becoming the heart-full person that you are!
5. ‘Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.’ — Nelson Mandela
This quote from Nelson Mandela is a powerful reminder that inside a school building, inside a classroom, sitting behind a desk or standing in front of a classroom is someone changing the world.
6. ‘Children learn more from who you are than what you teach.’ — Unknown
We’re certainly not denying all the hard work you’re putting into your lessons. That matters! But patience, kindness, compassion, a growth mindset … our actions and behaviours speak as loudly as any of our ‘lessons’ do!
7. ‘You can’t stop a teacher when they want to do something. They just do it.’ ― J.D. Salinger
Teacher, you are an unstoppable force!
8. ‘Teachers are those who help find strengths, wipe away tears, overpower demons and conquer fears.’ — Unknown
Sometimes our students can spend more time with us than they do with their families, which makes ours such an important role in their lives.
9. ‘A good teacher isn’t someone who gives the answers out to their kids but is understanding of needs and challenges and gives tools to help other people succeed.’ — Justin Trudeau
It’s quotes like this one from the Canadian prime minister that make you stop and think about how much more is involved in teaching than many people realise. Anyone can give answers. Not just anyone sees and educates the whole child.
10. ‘Teachers who love teaching, teach children to love learning.’ — Unknown
Passion and excitement are infectious!
11. ‘My teacher gave me the best gift of all… Believing in me!’ — Unknown
We don’t always know what is going on at home. We do know that what we are saying in the classroom can be the best thing a child hears all day.
12. ‘Every child is gifted. They just unwrap their packages at different times.’ — Unknown
And, who are we to know just where a child is at on their journey? We may be supporting them through their hungry caterpillar stage, only to hear about how they found their wings long after leaving our classroom for the very last time…
13. ‘It’s the teacher that makes the difference, not the classroom.’ – Michael Morpurgo
Remember this quote the next time you’re feeling stressed about not having a Pinterest-perfect classroom. It’s you … it’s always you!
14. ‘Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.’ –Colleen Wilcox
Your glass is half full, teachers.
15. ‘Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire.’ – William Butler Yeats
Yeats’ poetry may be a bit advanced for your primary school students, but the Irish poet’s words are enough to fuel you for days!
16. ‘Invest in our teachers, and our children will succeed.’ — Barack Obama
Yes, it really is that simple.
17. ‘The dream begins, most of the time, with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you on to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called truth.’ — Dan Rather
This quote from Dan Rather is the kind you need to have on hand when you have to lay down the law with your students and they’re grumbling. Just remember, it’s onward and upward.
18. ‘What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.’ ― Karl Menninger
Even when you’re being shuffled around from classroom to classroom, remember, you ARE special!
19. ‘If you look behind every exceptional person there is an exceptional teacher.’ — Stephen Hawking
One of the greatest astrophysicists of our time would never have been who he was without his teachers.
20. ‘A good teacher is like the rising sun that comes to fill the empty and dark minds with the light of the education’ ― Anamika Mishra
You are a light in the dark!
21. ‘The influence of a good teacher can never be erased.’ — Unknown
The impacts of ‘bad’ teaching can be overcome with time, patience and support. A good teacher’s legacy is forever.
Did you need that little reminder of just how awesome you are?! Even if you didn’t, we hope that these words warmed your heart a little.