Explore words containing long vowel sounds created by the magic e.
Create CVCe Words By Adding a Magic E!
Use this resource as a literacy group activity when teaching your students about changing short vowel sounds to long vowel sounds by adding a magic e.
How to Use This Magic E Words Activity
- Place the cards on the floor, sorted into two piles (based on the card type).
- Choose a CVC word card, then look through the magic e cards to find a match. The image above each magic e can be used as a clue to find the right pair.
- Continue play until all matches have been made.
An answer sheet is provided with this download so that students can self-check their matches.
Scaffolding and Extension Tips
- Challenge fast finishers by having them list each word in their writing journals, then write a sentence for each word.
- Support students who need help understanding the concepts by completing the activity as a part of an adult-supported, small-group session.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Print on thick card for added durability and longevity. Place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.
Before You Download
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource.
This resource was created by Lisamarie Del Valle, a Teach Starter collaborator.