A match-up activity to practise multiplying a 2-digit number by a 1-digit number.
1. Students shuffle the cards and place them face up in the middle of the playing area.
2. Students take turns solving the multiplication problems using a method of their choice.
3. Once they have calculated their answer, students find the corresponding answer card and place it with their problem card to make a pair.
4. When all of the matches have been made, students check their work using a calculator.
Ideas for Alternate Play
- Set a limit to the number of times each method can be used.
- Make the task a timed competition.
- Use MAB blocks to represent each question.
Why not review some effective multi-digit multiplication strategies before playing the game?
This resource was created by Talia Buonopane, a Teach Starter Collaborator.
Australian Curriculum alignment
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!