Jump into your maths lessons with this ten-page maths mentals booklet covering the four operations and number patterns.
🧠 Mental Maths for Year 4
This maths mentals booklet is the perfect addition to your warm-up routines. Throughout the booklet students will practise selecting appropriate mental maths strategies to complete the questions and improve on their previous score and time taken to finish the round.
Pages 1–8 have three rounds with 15 questions in each round. There is also a maze at the bottom of each page. The final two pages have 20 questions with mixed operations in each round.
This booklet is designed to be used in your maths lessons three days a week for ten weeks! Topics include:
- Doubles and Near Doubles
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Related Division
- Missing Numbers
- Mixed Operations
- Mixed Operations 2: The Sequel.
How to Implement a Maths Drill Warm-up
This booklet can serve as an easy maths lesson warm-up and will become a routine exercise that your students become familiar with. It serves as a focusing activity when coming back into class after the playground and allows them to switch into classroom mode.
Follow the suggested implementation below:
- Display a timer on an interactive whiteboard or screen.
- Write the page and round number on the board for students to see.
- Once all students have their maths drill booklets ready, begin the timer and students begin the drill.
- Once a student has completed the round, they note down the time it took them to complete it.
- They then can colour the front page, complete the maze on the current page or quietly read while other students finish the task.
- When all students have finished, have a student read out the answers while the rest mark their work.
- Students mark down how many questions they got correct for the round.
Booklet Printing Hack! 🖨
This resource downloads in PDF format. It includes three answer pages at the end of the document.
A super easy way to save paper is to use Adobe Readers booklet printing fucntion. This allows you to print the entire eleven-page booklet at A5 size using only three pieces of paper. The pages will print double-sided and in the correct order so all you have to do is fold each set of three pages in half and staple them together!
Don’t stop there! We’ve got more activities to shorten your lesson planning time:
|[resource:4819379] [resource:4819104] [resource:4648909]|