Incorporate this mental maths drills booklet into your maths lesson warm-up routine.
Year 6 Maths Mentals Booklet 📖
Developing efficient mental computation strategies is a vital skill that students can develop and benefits from regular practice. This booklet focuses on the mental computation skills that are important for Year 6 students to practise.
While the numbers may not be as large as those they work with when using written strategies, the mental strategies needed to solve the questions within the booklet are the main focus.
Incorporate this booklet into your maths lessons three days a week for ten weeks! Topics include:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Subtraction from 100
- Mixed Operations
- Mixed Operations 2: The Sequel.
Implementing a Maths Drill Warm-up
Establishing a regular activity that begins each maths lesson provides students with a familiar exercise to ease them into their learning. This is especially the case when returning to the classroom after recess or lunch.
Follow the suggested implementation below:
- Display a timer on an interactive whiteboard or screen.
- Write the page and round number on the board for students to see.
- Once all students have their maths drill booklets ready, begin the timer and students begin the drill.
- Once a student has completed the round, they note down the time it took them to complete it.
- They then can colour the front page or quietly read while other students finish the task.
- When all students have finished, have a student read out the answers while the rest mark their work.
- Students mark down how many questions they got correct out of twenty.
Easily Download & Print
This resource downloads in PDF format. It includes three answer pages at the end of the document.
To save paper, we suggest printing using a booklet function. This allows you to print the booklet at A5 size using only three pieces of paper. Simply fold each set of three pages in half and staple them together.
Don’t stop there! We’ve got more activities to shorten your lesson planning time:
A maths warm-up booklet with ten pages of addition and subtraction questions.
A maths mentals booklet with ten pages of multiplication and division questions.
A set of worksheets to help students develop fast and accurate recall of the multiplication tables.