Get the mental strategies flowing with this ten-page mental maths booklet covering the four operations.
🧠 Maths Mentals for Year 5
Choosing efficient mental strategies to solve maths problems takes practice and that’s where this mental maths booklet comes in! The aim of the questions within the booklet is to prompt students to use a variety of mental strategies and work on their ability to select the most efficient.
The numbers used within the booklet may not be as large as the numbers that Year 5 students work with when using written strategies.
This booklet is designed to be used in your maths lessons three days a week for ten weeks! Topics include:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Subtraction from 100
- Mixed Operations
- Mixed Operations 2: The Sequel.
Implementing a Maths Drill Warm-up
Incorporating a regular warm-up activity into your maths lessons provides students with a routine exercise that helps them get ready to learn. When students return to the classroom after the playground it is important for them to reframe their thoughts and engage their learning mode.
Follow the suggested implementation below:
- Display a timer on an interactive whiteboard or screen.
- Write the page and round number on the board for students to see.
- Once all students have their maths drill booklets ready, begin the timer and students begin the drill.
- Once a student has completed the round, they note down the time it took them to complete it.
- They then can colour the front page or quietly read while other students finish the task.
- When all students have finished, have a student read out the answers while the rest mark their work.
- Students mark down how many questions they got correct out of twenty.
Easily Download & Print
This resource downloads in PDF format. It includes three answer pages at the end of the document.
To save paper, we suggest printing using a booklet function. This allows you to print the booklet at A5 size using only three pieces of paper. Simply fold each set of three pages in half and staple them together.
Don’t stop there! We’ve got more activities to shorten your lesson planning time:
Incorporate this mental maths drills booklet into your maths lesson warm-up routine.
A maths mentals booklet with ten pages of multiplication and division questions.
A set of worksheets to help students develop fast and accurate recall of the multiplication tables.