Calling all Grade 5 teachers! You asked and we delivered. The Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? magazine for students is hot off the press and ready for you to download. This magazine for students is literally bursting with high quality, content-rich pages. Tell your students to hold onto their hats because they are in for a treat!
The Greatness of the Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? Magazine
So, what makes this magazine so exceptional and unique? Where should I start?
This magazine for students is packed full of articles pitched perfectly for Grade 5 students. Oh, and did I mention that it is curriculum aligned? Most importantly, the topics and subject matter have been chosen with Grade 5 students and their interests in mind.
Our brand new Grade 5 – What Buzzing? magazine for students is…
- brimming with fascinating and engaging articles
- designed to use in conjunction with Grade 5 Magazine task cards
- written specifically for Grade 5 students
- bright, bold, and beautifully illustrated
- presented as a digital text or printable
- perfect to explore with more confident Grade 4 students or less confident Grade 6 students.
Fascinate and Engage Your Students
There is something for everyone within the pages of our Grade 5 magazine – What’s Buzzing? It includes multiple genres and covers a wide range of topics. This magazine for students has been designed to spark interest in Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education and more!
Kids love magazines because they offer bright and bold illustrations and bite-sized articles. Magazines appeal to a wide range of ability levels and make easy work of differentiation. Most of all, magazines are fun and nurture a love of reading.
Text Type Heaven
In our Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? magazine for students, you’ll find ten different text types and structures to develop reading comprehension.
With a click of a download button, you’ll have the following texts at your fingertips:
- Within (poem)
- Letter to the Editor (opinion)
- How to Make a Twirling Spinner (procedure)
- The Loudest Sound in the World (narrative)
- Human Histories: Sensational Scientists (biography)
- K-9ine (advertisement)
- 10 Fascinating Facts About the Amazon Rainforest (factual)
- Healthy Mind, Healthy Body: Find Your Sport (comic)
- Species Snapshot: Narwhals (informative)
- Earth Watch: From Fires to Flooding (explanation).
For more insight into the importance of exposing your students to different text types, read my blog, 10 Text Types for Upper Grades | FREE Teaching Resources,
What’s Buzzing? Comic Strip
Do you have reluctant readers in your class? Providing magazines for students and comics could be the answer. So, with this in mind we have included an engaging comic strip Healthy Mind, Healthy Body: Find Your Sport. This fun and engaging comic strip carries the important message to give things a try!
Students benefit from reading comics because of the way in which they:
- encourage the use of inference (students have to infer what has not been written)
- slow down skim reading (students are forced to slow down in order to fully understand what’s happening)
- support less confident readers with less text and bold illustrations
- tackle sensitive topics in a fun way
- support reading comprehension for students with additional needs such as dyslexia and autism.
Poem – Within
Our Grade 5 – What’s Buzzing? magazine for students includes a heartfelt poem –Within.
Within was written by one of our very own Teach Starter Resource Producers, Stephanie. The poem tackles the sensitive topic of inclusion and offers a thought-provoking insight into the mind of a young girl who feels a bit different. The careful use of language, rhythm, and rhyme will enable your students to draw the important message from the poem.
By using this text in conjunction with the corresponding Grade 5 magazine – What’s Buzzing? Task Cards, you can use this article to explore writing, language, comprehension, reading strategies, and higher-order thinking skills.
Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? Magazine Task Cards
The new Grade 5 – What’s Buzzing? magazine was created to use in conjunctions with a set of Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? Magazine Task Cards. These time-saving task cards take the stress out of your literacy planning and are perfect to use as English Reading Center Activities and Reading Group Activities.
For more information and ideas on successfully setting up literacy groups read Holly’s blog, 40 Activities and Ideas to Set up Literacy Groups in Your Classroom.
Spread the word among your tribe that the Grade 5 What’s Buzzing? magazine for students is out! And of course, don’t miss the Grade 6 Magazine – What’s Buzzing? (First Edition).
Which Grade group will be next?
Share your What’s Buzzing? appreciation on Instagram #teachstarter
And don’t forget to follow us at @teachstarter_texas!