A set of 6 generic spelling activity worksheets that can be used with any spelling list.
This worksheet pack includes:
- Syllable Sort – students sort their spelling words by the number of syllables.
- Phoneme Split – students split their spelling words into phonemes.
- Rhyming Words – students come up with two rhyming words for each spelling word.
- Alphabetical Order – students put their spelling words in alphabetical order.
- Spelling Word Think Board – students pick a spelling word and then write the definition, draw a picture, write a sentence, and come up with a synonym for that word.
- Parts of Speech Sort – students sort their spelling words into nouns, verbs, adjectives, or other.
To incorporate into a reading or writing center, simply print out each worksheet on cardstock and slip each one into a dry erase sleeve. Using their weekly spelling list, have students complete each one with a dry erase marker.
Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or editable Word version.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Use conventional spelling for words with common spelling patterns and for frequently occurring irregular words.
Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words (e.g., cage → badge; boy → boil).
Use spelling patterns and generalizations (e.g., word families, position-based spellings, syllable patterns, ending rules, meaningful word parts) in writing words.
We create premium quality, downloadable teaching resources for primary/elementary school teachers that make classrooms buzz!
Find more resources for these topics
English Language Arts and ReadingFoundational Language SkillsPhonological AwarenessReadingSpellingWritingWorksheetsFast Finisher ActivitiesHomework ActivitiesReading Center ActivitiesWriting Center Activities
Suggest a change
You must be logged in to request a change. Sign up now!
Report an Error
You must be logged in to report an error. Sign up now!