Help students succeed in reading fluency with this free printable bookmark and poster set of strategies for decoding unknown words.
Practicing strategies for decoding unknown words helps students build their reading fluency and stamina.
This reading strategy set includes 2 styles of bookmarks and a classroom poster with a list of decoding strategies to encourage students to use their resources when working through unfamiliar words.
Bookmark #1 & Poster:
If I Get Stuck
- Look through the whole word, left to right
- Ask for help if I don’t know
- Use a finger to segment the words into sounds, syllables, or chunks
- Blend the sounds and link to the letter strings I see
- I can listen to my own voice, slow my thoughts, and think
Bookmark #2 & Phoneme Segmentation Visual Aid:
The Alphabet is a Code – I need to learn how to crack it
Reading Decoding Strategies Tools
There are multiple classroom uses for this decoding intervention tool:
- Print the poster on tabloid paper and display it in your classroom for students to reference when decoding unfamiliar words and texts.
- Print the poster on letter-size cardstock paper, slip it into a clear sleeve, and use it in your guided reading groups to teach each strategy.
- Print 2-to-a-page on cardstock, cut, and place on a binder ring. Place these in your reading center for students to reference during independent reading.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Print the bookmarks on cardstock for added durability and longevity.
Before You Download
Use the drop-down icon on the Download button to choose between the color or black and white PDF versions of this resource.
This resource was created in collaboration with Clare Wood, a Literacy Specialist from Tiny Steps Make Big Strides and a Teach Starter Collaborator.
Check out more activities full of decoding strategies to help your students become confident readers:
[resource:4697179] [resource:2656686] [resource:4699489]