This Technology unit has been designed to investigate the role that technology plays in occupations within the community. Additionally, it introduces and explores the concept of sustainability.
It consists of 8 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Technologies in Society Workbook
- Occupations in Design and Technology Match-Up Game
- Occupations in Design and Technology Research Task
- Life Changing Technologies – Match-Up Activity
- Is Technology a Friend or a Foe? Worksheet
- Negative Impacts of Technology Worksheet
- Positive Impacts of Technology Worksheet
- Sustainability in the Community Worksheet
- Sustainability in Occupations Worksheet
- Occupations and Sustainability in Technology Assessment
- To explore and define the terms 'technology' and 'occupations'.
- To identify and explore the need for technology within occupations in the community.
- To explore how technological devices are used within occupations in the community.
- To explore how technology has been used within occupations throughout history.
- To identify the positive ways in which technology can change lives.
- To examine the ways in which technology can both help and hinder our lives.
- To develop an understanding of key vocabulary commonly used in relation to sustainability.
- To investigate why occupations within the community need to be sustainable.
Preparing for Learning
This Design and Technologies unit provides excellent opportunities for cross-curricular integration. As sustainability and historical perspectives are explored in detail throughout the unit, it lends itself particularly well to meaningful integration with Humanities and Social Sciences.
Prior to commencing the unit, develop a technology display in the classroom. Display visible learning goals and posters that will stimulate the students’ interest and assist in their learning. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Technologies category on the Teach Starter website.
Expose the students to examples of occupations and sustainability practices before and during the unit. Refer to the occupations of characters when reading texts, as well as any examples of sustainability in practice e.g. reducing waste, reusing products and recycling materials. Provide the students with opportunities to implement sustainability practices within their classroom, school or home. For examples of sustainability teaching resources, browse the Sustainability category on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan may need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.