Get students to solve area and perimeter word problems with this set of three worksheets.
Area and Perimeter Word Problems
Learning how to calculate the area and perimeter of shapes is an important skill for our students to learn. Once they have mastered this key skill, it is important that they can apply this knowledge to real-world scenarios. That’s where maths word problems come into play!
Teach Starter’s expert team of teachers has created this set of word problems on area and perimeter to help your students apply their knowledge of area and perimeter formulae to real-world situations. Students will be required to:
- Read the question
- Identify the key information
- Complete the relevant calculations
- Write the answer
Here is an example problem from this set of area and perimeter word problems:
Emily does her hair every morning using the square mirror on her bathroom wall. The mirror has sides of 60 cm. What is the perimeter of Emily’s mirror? What is the area of Emily’s mirror?
This resource contains 12 area and perimeter word problems in total. Answers are also included to make marking quick and easy!
Download the easy-print PDF version of these word problems on area and perimeter, or if you’d like to make some personal tweaks to the resource, an editable Google Slides file is also available.
Why Solve Area and Perimeter Word Problems?
There are multiple benefits to having your students apply their knowledge of area and perimeter to real-life worded problems. Some of these include:
- Real-World Application – Area and perimeter are fundamental concepts in geometry and maths. They have countless real-world applications, from measuring a room for a new carpet to designing a garden with limited fencing. Students who grasp these concepts can readily apply them to everyday situations.
- Critical Thinking – Solving area and perimeter word problems requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Students must analyse information, make connections and use mathematical reasoning to find the solution. These skills are essential not only for maths but also for many aspects of life and future careers.
- Mathematical Fluency – Proficiency in solving area and perimeter word problems enhances students’ overall mathematical fluency. It strengthens their ability to understand and solve a wide range of maths challenges, which can significantly improve their overall performance.
Download These Maths Word Problems
Use the download button above to access either the easy-print PDF or the editable Google Slides version of these area and perimeter word problems. (Note: You will be prompted to make a copy of the Google Slides template on your personal drive before accessing it.)
More Area and Perimeter Word Problems for Your Students
Has this resource piqued your interest in area and perimeter word problems? Click below for more resources created by our expert teacher team!
[resource:4843676] [resource:4844049] [resource:4843488]