This Mathematics unit addresses the concepts of 12- and 24-hour time, timetables and timelines.
It consists of 5 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included, and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- 24-Hour Time Memory Game
- 12- and 24-Hour Clock Template
- 24-Hour Time Poster
- Converting Time Worksheet
- 24-Hour Time Sort Worksheet
- Reading and Interpreting Timetables Worksheets
- Developing a Timetable Task
- Reading and Constructing Timelines Worksheets
- World War One Timeline Poster
- Time Assessment – Year 5 and Year 6
- To understand the relationship between 12- and 24-hour time systems.
- To convert between 12- and 24-hour time systems.
- To read and interpret timetables and to calculate elapsed time.
- To develop a timetable of daily activities.
- To read, interpret and construct timelines.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to commencing the unit, the students should be able to tell the time to the minute using am and pm notation. They should also have had experience solving simple time problems, such as calculating the time required to travel between two locations.
Develop a time wall in the classroom. Include vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. Display posters that will help remind them of the key concepts they have learned. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Time category on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.
NSW Curriculum alignment
Time - reads and records time in one-minute intervals and converts between hours, minutes and seconds