An activity to practice map skills using a giant map of a community.
Explore Map Skills with a Community Map
Have you seen Teach Starter’s fabulous giant coloring sheets? Well, we have taken this giant coloring community map to the next level!
This multipurpose map skills resource has been designed to provide opportunities for both mindfulness and geography… what a great combination!
Students must use our giant coloring community map to answer questions related to location, position, and direction. Example questions include:
- What street is the school located on?
- If you are at the museum, which direction should you travel to get to the pool?
- What direction is the firehouse from the police station?
Combining Work with Play Is A-OK!
Our giant coloring pages make a fantastic addition to your class well-being program. Coloring is a great mindfulness activity, and works wonders if you need a little task to calm your class down after break times!
There are three files attached to the Download button. The first is the student question page. Your students will all need copies of this!
Then, there are two versions of the giant community coloring map. Select the file format that you prefer using the dropdown menu. You can select from:
- The Giant Coloring Sheet (intended to be completed collaboratively) – This downloads as multiple Letter size pages. It needs to be cut out and pasted together following the instructions on the individual pages. Attach this to a wall in your classroom so that students can work collaboratively on the coloring task.
- A Single Coloring Sheet (intended to be completed individually) – This downloads as a single Letter size page. It is the perfect size for student notebooks, and a manageable size for each student to complete independently.
Alternatively, you could always project the single-page giant coloring sheet on your interactive whiteboard. (But hey, the coloring is the fun part, right?!)
Download, Print, Teach!
As the student worksheet contains an answer key, we recommend you print one copy of the entire file. Remove the answers, then proceed with making copies for your students.
Don’t forget to use the dropdown menu next to the Download button to access your preferred version of the giant community coloring sheet!
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.