Practice dictionary skills with your students with this active game.
What Word Am I? Dictionary Skills Activity
Get active all while practicing those all-important dictionary skills! In this game of Dictionary Mystery Scoot, students are provided with 2-3 clues on a card, and they must work out what word the clues are referring to by using a dictionary.
How to Play
- Divide students into groups. Provide students with a recording sheet and a dictionary.
- Place the game cards around the room.
- Groups will rotate through the game cards, reading each clue and using their dictionary to determine the word, definition, or part of speech.
- Students can move through the cards in any order, but there can only be 1 group at each game card at a time.
- The first 3 teams to finish all the cards with the correct answers win!
This game is not only a fun way to engage students in learning, but it also helps to promote teamwork and communication skills as students work together to solve the mystery words.
Easily Download and Prepare
This resource can also be used as a fun reading center activity for your students. A set of instructions, a recording sheet, and an answer key are all included in the download. For smaller task cards, set to print 2 cards to a page.
Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version.
This resource has been created by Kelli Goffredi, a teacher in Texas, and Lindsey Phillips, a teacher in Michigan, both Teach Starter collaborators.