Learn about the animals of the zodiac calendar in the classroom and make your own Chinese Paper lanterns for Lunar New Year.
Looking for Chinese New Year Crafts for Kids?
We’ve got you covered with a fun craft template that allows your students to make their own Chinese paper lanterns! This lantern is specifically aligned to be used as a Year of the Rat Craft activity.
There is a color version and a black-and-white option for students who want to add their own colors and designs. Use the dropdown arrow on the download button to select the version of your choice.
How to Construct Your Paper Lantern Chinese New Year Craft
- Color the lantern and handle (if using the black and white version).
- Cut out the lantern along the solid lines.
- Fold the lantern in half along the horizontal (longer) axis.
- Cut along the dotted lines, making sure you stop at the end of each line. Do not cut all the way through!
- Unfold your paper. With the colored section on the outside, curl the lantern around and glue the ends together to create a circular lantern.
- Cut out the paper strip on the lantern template. Use a stapler to attach this paper handle to the lantern.