This Mathematics unit addresses the concept of measuring, comparing and ordering mass using informal units.
It consists of 5 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- To explore the concept of mass by comparing and ordering objects.
- To create a set of balance scales for measuring and comparing the masses of objects.
- To develop the concept of mass by comparing and ordering the masses of objects.
- To apply knowledge and understanding of mass to a real-world context.
- To revise and consolidate the concept of mass.
Prior to commencing the unit, create a measurement display in your classroom. Display teaching resources in the classroom that will stimulate the students’ interest and assist in their learning. For examples of teaching resources to display in your classroom, browse the Mass collection on the Teach Starter website.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before commencing the unit.