Practise segmenting and blending simple words with this CVC word building mat.
Build Simple Words with Our CVC Word Mat
This activity is split into 5 sections.
- Choose a CVC picture card and place it in the Find It! box.
- Draw a picture of the word in the Draw It! space.
- Tap the dots in the Tap It! space in order to isolate each phoneme (sound) in the word.
- Construct the word in the Build It! space by finding the letter cards that correspond to each phoneme.
- Write the word on the line in the Write It! space.
Slip the mat into dry-erase sleeves for durability and sustainability.
The 24 CVC words identified in this activity are:
Scaffolding and Extension Tips for CVC Words
Challenge students who already understand the concept to produce rhyming words for each CVC word. They can also put the CVC cards in alphabetical order.
Support students who need help understanding the concepts by providing them with a visual reminder of letter-sound correspondences, like an alphabet chart.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Print on thick card for added durability and longevity. Place all pieces in a folder or large envelope for easy access.
Place the word work mats into dry-erase sleeves so that students can record their answers with a whiteboard marker, then erase and reuse.
Before You Download
Use the dropdown icon on the Download button to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version of this resource.
This resource was created by Lindsey Phillips, a Teach Starter collaborator.